Haunted Savannah

A discussion of tours and ghosts written by the author of best-selling local book 'Haunted Savannah' and noted speaker at Ghostock II. His work has been featured on the Travel Channel, ConnectSavannah, the Savannah Morning News, WSOK Radio, and the New York Daily News.

For reservations for either Ghost Tours or Haunted Pub Crawls in Savannah, please call (912) 604-3007.

Name:
Location: Savannah, Georgia, United States

I'm a tour owner, tour guide, author and painter. My tour has been featured on the Travel Channel, the Savannah Morning News, ConnectSavannah, WSOK (Savannah) radio and the New York Daily News.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Moon Over Savannah

Being a pub tour guide is a unique working environment. I often tell my pub groups, "The ghost stories you're about to hear may or may not scare you. What probably WILL scare you are the locals at these pubs." A pub guide has got a lot more to think about when leading the tour, over and above the stories you're telling. As a matter of fact, more often than not your guide isn't concentrating on the story nearly as much as he or she is focused on the surrounding people (i.e. drunks who may or may not pose a problem). Anytime you mix people and alcohol, trouble can be around the next corner.

Not only are you at the mercy of the individual pubs ( and their bartenders), but you also have to factor in crowd control within your respective group (hey, they ARE drinking), as well as external crowd control. And it is that last factor which can make even an experienced pub tour guide break out in a cold sweat. Or hysterical laughter, as the case certainly was last night.

I had led my pub group to our next location, and had begun my story with my pubgoers facing a large window, looking into the bar. There was a large table right inside that window, filled with 20-something men and women. As I talked, everyone on tour got a stunned look on their face, including the 85 year old grandmother who was in the group. Then everyone burst out laughing. It was one of the few times that the tour guide was NOT in on the joke.

Turns out, one of the young ladies at the table had apparently consumed just enough 'liquid courage' to do something mischievous. In full view of my group outside, she had dropped her pants around her thighs and proceeded to rub her (I am told) very attractive bare bottom on the glass next to me. Needless to say, story-time was over; there was no recovering from that sort of display.

In one of life's great moments, I knew exactly what to say. You know, the comment or retort that usually occurs to you weeks later, when it does you absolutely no good at all? This time, it came to me. I quickly stepped inside the door and said, "Ma'am, it was so nice making your acquaintance. In fact, I'd LOVE to see more of you!"

Not to be outdone, one man on my pub tour outside raised his glass and yelled, "Bottoms up!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Hit Counter